...

The Board of Education this week approved an $82.3 million budget with a $1.4 million deficit, but taxpayers are expected to see some relief through a reduction of the millage rate from 17 mills to 16.5 mills.

The last time Oconee County Schools had a millage rate that low was a 16.3 millage rate in 2003. The highest rate was 18.5 mills during the Great Recession. 

OCS expects revenue of $80.9 million, 45 percent of which derived from local taxes and the remaining 55 percent from the state of Georgia. Expenditures are set at $82.3 million. 

“Sound financial practices enabled our system to reduce the millage rate for taxpayers,” said Oconee County Schools Director of Communications Anisa Sullivan Jimenez. “Our system has a healthy fund balance to offset the deficit.” 

For more on this story, see the June 13 edition of The Oconee Enterprise, on sale now at convenience stores and grocery stores and newspaper boxes throughout Oconee County. To subscribe, call (706) 769-5175 or visit the tab on our website. 

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.