Editor’s note: Gov. Kemp issued an executive order that started Tuesday to limit restaurants to take out, drive-thru or delivery only. Some information may change throughout the week.
Watkinsville downtown restaurants are now offering a medley of curbside, take-out and delivery options in the wake of the novel coronavirus, which has upended the food service industry.
“The financial side of this is devastating for the hospitality world and all of small businesses,” said Pub on Main co-owner Scott Parrish. “I’ve been in it (the restaurant business) since I was 14, and in my lifetime and my parents’ lifetimes, we’ve never seen anything like this. We’re completely trying to adapt with what we do to be super sanitary and conscious of the health of the community.”
Parrish elaborated that the community support he has received thus far has been the bright side to an otherwise economically strained situation.
“We’re fortunate to be in the food business because people are always going to have to eat,” he said. “Supporting your local restaurants and markets is essential for their survival.”
Likewise, Doughby’s Pizza and More owner Justin Kamishlian said that he is doing the best he can to balance patrons’ safety with employees’ safety and the business’ financial well-being.
“To me, that (staying open) is secondary to people’s safety,” he said.
Below are restaurant changes for downtown Watkinsville:
- Barberitos Southwestern Grill and Cantina: People can call and order curbside pickup, order on its website or order via third-party food delivery apps. Barberitos is open Mondays to Thursdays from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. and Fridays to Sundays from 11 a.m. until 9 p.m. (706) 705-1228
- Butcher and Vine: The meat, cheese and wine shop offers charcuterie boards for take out and curbside pickup during its amended hours of Mondays to Saturdays from noon to 6 p.m. (706) 705-1466
- Chops and Hops: This upscale eatery offers curbside or delivered family meals and single-serving menu options between 11 am. and 8 p.m. Delivery within a six-mile radius of Watkinsville costs $10 for a minimum order of $40. Patrons can ask the staff about rates for delivery orders over six miles away. (706) 310-1101
- Doughby’s Pizza and More has amended hours of 4-8 p.m. For carryout only, people can order online or call in orders. (706) 705-6500
- Girasoles: People can order dinner take out. A full dinner menu is available on the restaurant’s Facebook page. (706) 310-0410
- Kiki’s Bake Shop: People can either opt for take out, curbside or home delivery of this bakery’s goods. Eggs and dairy are also available. People ordering delivery must call the shop by noon the day before they want their food delivered. Deliveries are free within the Watkinsville area and cost $5 if in the Athens area. (706) 769-6766
- Krimson Kafe: This café will be closed until further notice.
- Pub on Main: The restaurant offers curbside pickup on Fridays and Saturdays from 4-8 p.m.(706) 310-4450
- Suncatcher Cafe: This Southern cuisine spot offers breakfast favorites such as their popular biscuits, eggs, grits and sausage, along with a Sunday lunch. People can call in either curbside or takeout orders. (706) 424-8281
- Traveling Hobo: The sandwich stop has shortened lunch pickup hours of 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. and dinner pickup hours of 4-8 p.m. from Wednesdays to Saturdays. It is closed Sundays and Mondays. (706) 310-4323
- Wing House Grill Watkinsville: People can order drive-thru and carryout between the grill’s hours of 11 a.m. and 8 p.m. (706) 705-6370